This shows respect for each other and for one’s self. Pride in one’s appearance is important in academic and professional settings. The uniform policy will be strictly enforced for any school sponsored or school related event.
Purchase Uniforms Online
Shopping online for high school uniforms is easy!
- Go to Land's End Uniforms.
- Create or sign in to your account. Include your student and school information in My Account (or find your School using the Preferred School Number Search: 900044223).
- Start shopping with your personalized product checklist.
You can also order by phone:
- Call 1-800-469-2222.
- Share your Preferred School Number 900044223, grade level and gender.
- Make your order.
- Representatives are available 24/7 for assistance.
Dress Code and Uniform Standards
In today’s fashion conscious culture, there is an overwhelming pressure to appropriate individual worth through one’s outward image, which too often contributes to unhealthy attitudes and behaviors. Here at St. Joseph, we strive to encourage the student to express themselves through their character and individual personality and not through their outward appearance. Our mission, is to serve God by providing a challenging academic education, rooted in Catholic values and morals.
Students are expected to be dressed in a manner consistent with accepted Christian community standards of good taste. Local school administration shall develop, publish, and maintain uniform and/or dress code regulations. Each Catholic school in the diocese requires the wearing of a school uniform. A written policy and guidelines for the uniform must be communicated to all parents and students annually.
Procedure for Change
When a change in the uniform is needed or a majority of the parents desire a change, the Principal must give the parents of students and the school staff the opportunity for input.
Options are to be studied according to a process determined by the Principal of the school in consultation with staff and parent/guardian representatives. To insure that an unnecessary burden is not placed on parents who are already facing extra financial responsibilities, they must be given notice prior to registration for the following year to prepare for the change. Special consideration must be given to seniors in high schools, eighth graders, and special circumstance students who shall not be required to be in the "new" uniform, but allowed to wear out the old uniform.
Policies and Procedures
Interpretation of the Uniform
The Principal, assisted by the Vice Principal and Dean, interprets the application of the uniform and of the following policies.
When the Uniform is worn:
On an academic day, unless otherwise specified, a student will be in uniform at all times while on campus, either from the time the student arrives until he/she leaves or from the time the student arrives until he/she must change clothes for participation in an athletic or extracurricular activity. If a student has an early dismissal and decides to remain in the building, the student must remain in uniform.
Required Daily Dress
- Dress shorts (tan; knee length or within 2 inches of knee; twill fabric) purchased from Lands End Uniform.
- Male/female shorts must be no shorter than 2 inches above the knee cap.
- Dress slacks (tan; twill or chino fabric) purchased from Lands End Uniform.
Tan pants need to match Lands End medium khaki.
Girls only: plaid skirt; knee length, purchased from Lands End Uniform. *There is a zero tolerance policy for altering the way a skirt is worn. (This includes, but is not limited to rolling up skirts.)
Skirts must be knee length. Skirts must be no shorter than the middle of the knee cap, and hems are not to be cut because they may need to be lengthened at a later time. If there is a height or weight issue, Lands End Uniform will be happy to special order a uniform to comply with the Saint Joseph Catholic High School policy.
- Plain black or brown leather belt with a standard buckle is required on all skirts, shorts, and pants which have belt loops.
- Male/female pants are not to be altered by any means, “pegged pants” or other alterations will be considered a uniform violation.
- Plain long or short sleeve white oxford dress shirt with button-down collar.
- Long or short sleeve solid green or solid white polo shirt with logo from Lands End Uniform. Plain white t-shirts may be worn underneath the uniform shirts year-round.
- Solid white turtlenecks or solid white thermal underwear may be worn under the uniform during cold weather. The uniform top and bottom must cover all parts except the neckline of the undershirt.
- Shoes must cover the entire foot, no open toe shoes. Socks or hosiery are required.
Best dress will be required during mass and special events only.
- BOYS: long or short sleeve solid white Oxford button-down shirt with a school tie and tan pants.
- GIRLS: long or short sleeve solid white Oxford button-down shirt and skirt. A school tie for girls is optional.
- Shoes: Only "best dress" shoes may be worn. No tennis shoes. The uniform shoe is to be of a plain color, preferably a black or brown leather shoe with dark laces. No flip-flops, sandals, sandal-like shoes, or moccasins. Shoes must be kept in good condition. If the shoe has laces, they must be tied at all times and shoes must completely cover the heel of the foot. Canvas, fabric or suede shoes are allowed. The upper heel of the shoe may not be flattened down or bent under the heel of the foot creating a slip-on or moccasin effect. Shoes are to be worn with plain white, black, green, grey or brown socks.
It is mandatory for a student to change for P.E. class. The P.E. uniform consists of school emblem t-shirts and shorts. The student must be in complete school uniform when he or she leaves the P.E. class. To purchase P.E uniforms, please go to www.sjchsjayhawks.com.
Assemblies and Field Trips
Students are required to be in uniform for all assemblies and field trips.
Saint Joseph Team Pride/Dress up Days
On the days when there is a home game/event: students participating on the competing athletic team that is hosting the event may wear their team jersey or team sport polo. All will adhere to regular uniform standards regarding pants/skirts.
Approved outerwear bearing the school emblem is permitted (must be worn over a uniform shirt). All other coats and outerwear must remain in the student's locker at all times during the school day.
Athletic and club hoodies can be worn on Friday. Sweatshirts that have the Saint Joseph Catholic High School logo (includes team sweatshirts and jackets approved by the administration), letter jackets and letter sweaters can be worn throughout the week. To purchase approved school sweatshirts and jackets, please visit www.sjchsjayhawks.com
- Students will not wear slacks more than two sizes greater than their waist size. If a student's waist size is 32, he/she may not wear any slacks larger than a 34. Slacks/shorts are worn from the waist.
- Students will not be allowed to fray the cuff or split the seam of their slacks.
- Military style belts, web belts, sashes, and customized belt buckles are prohibited.
- Students may not write on or customize any article of uniform clothing.
- Skirts or dresses with hems above the knee are not allowed.
- No unreasonably short shorts (must be no more than 2 inches above the knee)
- No spandex or leggings without a covering (leggings must be of a solid color, can be black, dark green, navy blue or white).
- No hats.
- No tank tops, sleeveless or torn clothing.
- No necklines below the collarbone or blouses that expose the midriff;
- No clothing and/or accessories bearing advertising of a sexual, violent, anti-religious, or racial nature.
- No clothing pertaining to tobacco, alcohol, illegal substances or profanity.
Friday’s spirit day
Only on Friday, clubs, teams, and organizations are allowed to wear spirit gear approved and sold by Saint Joseph CHS Website and Jaymark. The spirit gear must show the school colors and logos. All will adhere to regular uniform standards regarding pants/skirts.
Appropriate Free Dress
Free dress shall be appropriate. The Principal or the Principal's designee shall determine whether or not free dress is appropriate.
If the personal grooming habits of a student becomes a distraction to the education process or makes a
statement contrary to the mission and philosophy of the school, the administration will take the necessary measures to end the distraction or contrary statement.
The following is a minimal list as examples and should not be considered exhaustive:
- School attire will be neat, clean and properly worn.
- Apparel will not be altered or allowed to appear unkempt.
- Shirts will be tucked in completely.
- Polo shirts will have the bottom button fastened; Oxford shirts may have the top button unbuttoned.
- Colored, print, or plaid undergarments will not be visible.
- Makeup and jewelry will be modest and appropriate to the academic setting.
- Large, numerous, or distracting rings, earrings, bracelets, pins, and necklaces are not permitted.
- For female/male students: Eyebrow, lip and tongue rings, or any other type of body piercing are forbidden, except ears for female students. If a female student has a nose piercing, they must wear a clear plug. If a male student has ear piercings, they must wear a clear plug. Male students are not allowed to use any other form of piercing.
- Tattoos (including temporary ones), jewelry worn through pierced noses, eyebrows, lips, cheeks, etc. or other body markings deemed inappropriate by the school administration are not permitted.
- Hair Styles/Grooming: Extreme, bizarre, or distracting hairstyles or colors are not allowed. Hair must be neat and clean. Extreme steps, layers, designs, and or long loose strands of hair are not permitted. Dying or bleaching hair from natural color in a bizarre, or distracting style is not allowed. Hair may not be adorned with feathers, beads, dreadlocks or other accouterments. Students who violate the above code will be suspended until style and/or color is corrected.
Dressing in team apparel as a team on a game day is a long held tradition at Saint Joseph Catholic High School. It serves to remind non-participants that it is a game day, it instills a sense of pride in the team members, and our players look good when they walk onto the court, field, or into the locker-rooms. To insure that our students maintain an appropriate level of dress, the following (home) game day dress code will be put in place for this athletic year.
Sports teams and extracurricular activities are allowed to wear their jerseys or team/club shirt/polo on game or performance days.
Athletic and club hoodies can be worn on Friday. Sweatshirts that have the Saint Joseph Catholic High School logo (includes team sweatshirts and jackets approved by the administration), letter jackets, letter sweaters and team polo can be worn throughout the week. To purchase approved school sweatshirts, jackets or polos, please visit the school website (www.sjchsjayhawks.com) or visit Jaymart.
The determination of appropriateness, and or compliance, with regard to all uniform and grooming issues is made at the discretion of the school administration (or the administration's designee). Students who are deemed to be out of uniform will be subject to discipline at the discretion of the school administration or designee.
Please reference Administrative Handbook of Catholic Schools, Diocese of Salt Lake City, Policy 3500